The idea here is to provide some books on general psychology—an overview of the workings of the mind from a scientific point of view. It is an idiosyncratic list, but I do recommend these books. If I had to choose only one, by far it would be William James’s two-volume Principles of Psychology:
- Abnormal Psychology by Timothy W. Costello and Joseph T. Costello
- The Principles of Psychology, volume 1, by William James [I recommend the Dover edition, ISBN 0486203816]
- The Principles of Psychology, volume 2, by William James [ISBN 0486203824]
- Toward a Psychology of Being by Abraham H. Maslow
- What Babies Say Before They Can Talk: The Nine Signals Infants Use to Express Their Feelings by Paul C. Hollinger with Kalia Doner
Full disclosure: all book links on this page are affiliate links. That means whenever you click on one, you’ll be taken to the relevant book page on Amazon. If you make a purchase, I receive a small commission.