These are books that I particularly recommend to become strong at the mechanics of writing and at copyediting. (To work on the mental clarity and knowledge that are prerequisites of good writing, consider the books on my Liberal Education list.)
- Classical Rhetoric for the Modern Student by Edward P. J. Corbett (do all the exercises—well, as many as you can!)
- Garner’s Modern American Usage by Bryan A. Garner
- Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary, 11th edition
- Prentice-Hall Handbook for Writers by Glenn Leggett, C. David Mead, and William Charvat (again, do all the exercises!)
- Words into Type “based on studies by” Marjorie E. Skillin, Robert M. Gay, et al.
Full disclosure: all book links on this page are affiliate links. That means whenever you click on one, you’ll be taken to the relevant book page on Amazon. If you make a purchase, I receive a small commission.